You are definitely your best asset! But the reality is….in spite of what our mom said, none of us are perfect. We each have unique personalities and giftings but none of us are great at everything. Regardless of whether we’re self-employed or working within an existing company or organization we’re guaranteed to be more successful if we build around who we are. There are three ways to build around who we are:
1. Build around your personality. We use the Meyers Briggs test to dive into who we are. Not only is it helpful to better understand what you do naturally, it also helps to understand the roles that will drain you. One of the weaknesses of my personality is that I have difficulty focusing on details. So I have to double down in this part of my work, or hire someone to help me with this. It’s great to have someone close to you fill in these gaps with their personality.
2. Build around your strengths. The Strength Finders Assessment is a great way to assess your top 5 strengths. If you’re like me when you see your results you’ll have an “a-ha” moment and some things that you thought were quirky turn out to be your greatest strengths. For years I was told that I asked too many questions and was even labeled as a rebel. I struggled through this for a long time until I realized that I was actually wired as a futurist who ideates. This understanding changed what I labeled as a liability into an asset. With 34 strengths out there it’s vital to know your own and then bring in others to help build a complete skill set.
3. Build around your preferences. In addition to our personalities and strengths we also have preferences. We shouldn’t discount these when it comes to building a team. For every task I prefer not to do there’s someone who loves to do it. So I say, let them do it! It helps them fulfill their role and it leaves time on your plate for the things that come more naturally.
- Build around your personality, strengths and preferences - February 21, 2017
- Was it worth it? - January 12, 2017
- Bringing Hope from Tragedy with Ashley Jones - December 16, 2016
- Develop the thing people really want….you! - December 12, 2016
- Three Things to be Grateful For - November 28, 2016
- Post Election: What do we do now? - November 10, 2016
- Feed the Courage and Starve the Fear - November 7, 2016
- How to Develop Blue Ocean Strategy - November 3, 2016
- Why Imagination requires Sacrifice - October 31, 2016
- Leading a give back movement with Lauren Glass - October 20, 2016