by contributing author
Among several podcasts, blogs, books and a variety of stand-out articles I’ve read so far this year, there seems to be a consistent power in the take-away-strength of stories.
The Power of Parable if you will…
Most recently I finished Brené Brown’s Rising Strong, a fascinating collection of research attesting to this very point. The process of rising strong, Brown believes, is “…about capturing the story you’re telling yourself about your fall.” While we may not have the power to control what happens to us throughout life, we do have control over the way we respond to it.
Integrated beautifully by Maya Angelou: “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
By taking the time to re-write our stories’ endings, we are harnessing the creative healing abilities that lie within every one of us. We are reacting to the power of our own parables. At the end of each story, the way we weave our life experience into who we are is our choice. How we choose to see and say things, our focus, our take-away…
Brown insists, “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing we’ll ever do.”
As a writer and an inspired story-seeker/sharer myself, this idea resonated with me strongly…To sit for a minute in reflection of your life experiences, and to acknowledge how you let them change you is no light feat. That being said, our “creative endings” have the power to transform obstacles into character builders, challenges into strengths, fears into faith.
“Character—the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life—is the source from which self-respect springs.” —Joan Didion
As we continue along our singular journeys, molding and melding life stories as we see fit, indulge yourself in the freedom to re-write endings…that you may grow and gain perspective on the curious, creative, (imperfectly) perfect, unique human you were written to be.
See each day as an opportunity to harness creative power over your parable.
“Rising Strong: The Reckoning. The Rumble. The Revolution” by Brené Brown, 2015.
- Build around your personality, strengths and preferences - February 21, 2017
- Was it worth it? - January 12, 2017
- Bringing Hope from Tragedy with Ashley Jones - December 16, 2016
- Develop the thing people really want….you! - December 12, 2016
- Three Things to be Grateful For - November 28, 2016
- Post Election: What do we do now? - November 10, 2016
- Feed the Courage and Starve the Fear - November 7, 2016
- How to Develop Blue Ocean Strategy - November 3, 2016
- Why Imagination requires Sacrifice - October 31, 2016
- Leading a give back movement with Lauren Glass - October 20, 2016